May 2, 2010

Origami Bags and some nature talk

I recently found a pattern for these sweet little origami bags that are super quick to make. 


They have seven - yes 7 - pockets in them and are made from a  ladies large handkerchief as used in Japan.


I couldn't stop at just one of course.


By the time I made the last one, it took me a whole 20 minutes from start to finish!  Now I have put aside some unused scarfs to make a bigger model.  They would be great for a fete or as a gift.  The pattern can be found here.

We managed to get to a local conservation park this week with our Birdwatchers Club for some bushwalking and bird spotting.  Grey skies weren't great for the birds, but we were happy to find a pair of Scarlet Robin in amongst the list of species we found.  This is what the female looks like:


And the male is much prettier and brighter:

These two photos were taken on a much sunnier day some time ago.

We also came across this little fellow:

a Spiny Anteater curled up in a ball with his head tucked in!

Hope you have a great week.

Happy stitching!

Regards
Val

5 comments:

Allie said...

Those little bags are darling! I like the middle one especially - so dainty! You have such colorful and unusual specimens in Australia - those birds are lovely!

Judy said...

Beautiful birds! They remind me of the Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

Where can the bag pattern be found?

Val Laird said...

Hi Judy

Thanks for your comment. Click on the word "here" under the blue and gold bag to be taken to the pattern site.
Regards
Val

Debbie said...

Hope you are busy and having fun. I would hope you are not sick? Been missing ya.

stitchin' girl said...

The origami bags are beautiful and so cute!! I have been looking for a gift to make for my quilting teacher - she is the best :o) - and was excited to see this bag. I will be making one for her before our class is done. Thank you for the idea and the inspiration!