March 9, 2014

Bluebird of Happiness


When I was growing up, our family was not very well off, but my parents saved very hard so that they could give my brother and I wonderful gifts for birthday and Christmas. One of my most treasured gifts was a 9 carat gold ring with my initials engraved on it. Even as a young girl, I loved beautiful things and I felt like a princess wearing my precious ring.

Another piece of jewellery that I wore constantly was a double Bluebird brooch - sweet little enamelled bluebirds set in silver. I gave it to one of our daughters many years ago so can't take a photo but I've borrowed one from Ebay to show you:


How I loved wearing it! I grew up with the words of the hit song on our radio too, though I don't expect many of my readers to remember that!

So, can you imagine what my answer was when I was asked by a magazine editor to design a blue and yellow quilt with bluebirds??? I didn't have to look far for inspiration!

This quickly has become my favourite quilt, and I think the best I have designed:


My quilter did a fabulous job:


 If  you are looking for a quilter, I recommend Judy at Furball Farm. I couldn't be happier with her work: 


You can find the pattern in the latest Stunning Country Craft magazine, Vol 25 No 2:


I've had a string of commissions to get my head around in recent weeks. Everything is organised in the planner and I'm working steadily towards completing each item well before the due date. In between times, I am working on goods for my fete charity box.

Cute little burlap and lace key rings:


A mug rug or two:


I practised some free motion quilting on that one and I think I am improving!  It's far from perfect yet but I am enrolled in this fabulous Craftsy Online Machine Quilting Class and I am learning heaps.

This week a cushion is on the agenda and organising the next block in the free Block of the Month "Shining like the Dawn" quilt.  Watch out for it next week.

Happy stitching!
Val

9 comments:

Marie said...

Y love Val,
ouh la la ,j'adore ce quilt,comme il est beau,et les petits coussinet!
j'adore,bien dommage que l'on ne peux acheter ce modéle chez Crafsty!
Doux week end.
Je vous embrasse
MC

Sharm said...

I have one of those exact bluebird brooches from when I was girl.

sunny said...

Okay, that does it. I'm moving to Australia! All the best designs are in Australia magazines. Your quilt is amazing! I love blue and yellow, and you've done a beautiful job with your assignment.

Maritza said...

Que bonito te quedó el trabajo que diseñaste, es una maravilla!!!

Christine M said...

Your quilt is lovely Val. I still have my little blue bird necklace. I'm not sure what happened to my ear rings that matched. I remember them so well.

Furball Farm Quilting said...

It looks beautiful Val!! Thankyou for your kind words.

Unknown said...

That's very special - and you are very talented!

Marianne´s hantverk said...

Ditt täcke med fåglarna är underbart vackert.

Anonymous said...

How beautiful that quilt is! The quilting is lovely, true, but the whole design is great. I always enjoy seeing what you are up to. I didn't grow up with that song, but I've heard it, since I wasn't too many years after it. =)